Sunday, December 5, 2010

CD Christmas ornaments

My very first post on my blog was CD Christmas ornaments.  That is the post more people look at than anything.  I realized I could do better and saw a Dutch Dare challenge to make one (or a tag or card) and thought...hmm, I love a  challenge when I have time to stamp so here is what I came up with.  Now why I have time to stamp, remember, I just had pins out of my ankle so am supposed to take it easy.  I'm really doing quite well but shhhh, don't tell.  :)  I'm enjoying all this time in my rubber room.  So keep coming back I have a bunch of projects to post and leave some love.  I'm going to do some blog candy sometime before Christmas.

So, since I was it, I made 2 today.  I've saved a few of those clear plastic CD saver things that are on the bottoms of the blank ones thinking they could come in handy.  I had thought glitter...then remembered that glitter gets on EVERYTHING.  So I was pondering what to use and saw the Twinklets Diamond Dust (really chunky glitter stuff) I found at Hobby Lobby in the Christmas section.  I then had to figure out what kind of the 8 different kinds glue I should use.  First choice was Diamond Glaze (crystal effects) but it's pricey.  So thought I'd try Perfect Paper adhesive (PPA) as it said was ok for glass and knew it dried clear.  I brushed it on with a wet brush as suggested.



Next I put it on a coffee filter and dumped that Diamond Dust on it.  I pressed it in and set it aside.  The next one I tried plain old Elmers School glue, the kind you get or 25 cents before school starts.  I brushed that on THICK and left it while I was cleaning the brush to flatten out.  Then dumped the Diamond dust on that and set it aside. This one had a much thicker coat of DD on it.  The first one was more translucent.   Now it was time to decorate.




So I took the more see through one and decided to try to stamp some snowflakes on the back with StazOn.  Hey, that worked pretty good!  I knew it wouldn't show through on the other one though.  Now it if your going to try to make one, you might want to stamp BEFORE you put the DD on.







I embossed the sleigh and reindeer (Flourishes) in gold, colored the deer with Copics (E 31, 33 and 35) and the sleigh with pencils and blended with Odorless Mineral Spirits.  I used a Spellbinder label to cut out.  Note it was to big but I used the Technique Junkie, Out of the Box to make it fit.  TIP: I found that Copics sort of eat up EP so probably would use pencils next time.  I added some Diamond Stickles on the edge of the sleigh and as snow flakes.  NOTE: in the picture I have the reins on the reindeer but took them off as I ended up rubbing my Versamark pad over the image and clear embossing the whole thing.  It gave it more a porcelain look.

I took a large embroidery needle and stuck it through where I wanted the gold 'reins' on that piece of foam and knotted it in the back.

I used a gold brad to hole the reins.
It ended up needed a layer so I cut the next size Label out of red mirror cardstock and cut around that for a small border.  The Dreamy Moments sticker is one I've had for a long time and the snowflake on the sleigh is a silver charm I colored with a gold marker.



 By now the CD was dry.  I added some puckered Christmas ribbon by putting Red Line tape on the BACK SIDE of the CD.  Don't try the front, it won't stick to the DD...don't ask.

Then I puckered the ribbon around the edge.



I punched a hole for the ribbon to string through to hang on tree with the Crop A Dile.  That thing works slick.


I used the Glossy accents to attach the stamped images on the side of the CD with the DDust on.  Weight down the image to dry.



The Skiing Bear is from High Hopes and mounted on the CD with the blue snowflaked on the back (you can see them IRL).  I stamped and colored him with Copics then ran another piece of cardstock through my Xyron and attached to the back for 2 reasons, to cover the copic bleed through and 2nd to add more stability.  I don't think even 120 pound cardstock would be thick enough.  I also did the clear EP on that whole image and glued him down with the Glossy Accents as is the snowflake border which is a garland from the mini-tree aisle.  Check that out for awesome cheap embellishments.

I think the worst part of making these is the waiting for things to dry...so while your doing that, try making the Irish Stew receipe below.

Oh and this is what my son-in-law makes.  They are Santa's from around the world hand painted on Turkey feathers!  This is Father Clause.  He has some awesome ones and sells them...for the people who have everything this is great.  If anyone wants one, they are $22 (includes postage).  Tell me what you want and he'll make it!  They look great stuck in a tree or just about anyplace.  If you don't want a Christmas theme, he can do just about anything.







2 comments:

Céline said...

What a clever idea to use those blank CD's! I've got a few of them lying around! Thanks for joining us at DDCC!!!

Jenny Gropp said...

These are great -- but what caught my eye was the gold cording on the sleigh reins --- fab attention to detail!! I love it!