Saturday, February 21, 2009

Doggy sympathy - OCC challenge


I feel it appropriate to send sympathy cards to people who lose pets and horses. (I get lots of people thanking me for my thoughtfulness as most people don't even acknowledge it) I even wrote a poem years ago for my DD when we had to have her good show horse put down called "Horse Heaven" It's been in lots of cards and framed with photos of those horses gone to heaven.
Anyway....my dear friend Julie in Montana recently lost her old Yellow Lab Mandy. I met Mandy last September, she was 15, deaf and almost blind but Julie had her happy and I fell in love with her too. I made this card for her. The stamp is by Eureka, they also have some animal sympathy stamps for the inside. I stamped it and cut it out after I colored with the Copics. I tried to make it look like a yellow lab, I always try to color my animals on the cards the color of the dearly departed pet. Then I stamped again, colored a little and cut with the labels nestie. That was layered on a blue nestie. I cut the halo out and edged that with glue pen and glitter then foam mounted above the head and also did the wings in glitter after coloring blue. Before I had this stamp I took a sitting dog stamp and masked it so I could put wings on it.
The DP paper I got at my favorite scrapbooking store in Missoula MT. I cut that out and cut the ticket corner with a 1/2 inch circle punch, layered on Close to Cocoa cardstock. It tied dog print ribbon from Hobby lobby around it and then some other shade of blue ribbon on that. The 'dog tag' from store in Missoula, was stamped WITH SYMPATHY in black Stazon ink and tied on the ribbon with silver cord. Layered on a piece of blue ran through dot cuttlebug and then I ran a brown stamp pad over the dots to highlight them. All this is on a 5X7 craft cardbase.

HINT: I always have a few animal sympathy cards made up but don't color them so I can personalize them when I need to send one. It seems like my dog ones go FAST. I usually don't have them quite so detailed but Mandy was special.

Little did I know, today's card qualified for the OCC challenge to put a tag on a card. So here's my entry.

4 comments:

Julie Koerber said...

Hey Betty! I saw your comment on my blog this morning! Thanks for stopping by! You said you had a couple questions for me and wanted me to email you -- unfortunately, I didn't see your email listed. Do you want to just shoot me one? juliekoerber@bresnan.net.
Hope life in ND is treating you well! ;-)
Thanks!

Hetty said...

What a sweet card you made for your friend, Betty! Love everything about it!

Cindy Haffner said...

Sweet doggy, thanks for playing along with us OCC girls.

Lynda Benden said...

Oh my gosh, this is darling! Your friend will LOVE it!